2lb brussels sprouts
1/2 cup vegetable broth, low sodium
1 onion, yellow
10 dates, medjool
1/2 T garlic granules
- Light toast the pecans in the oven at 350 degrees for the about 5 min. (you know they’re ready when you can smell their sweet aroma. Be carful, they can burn quickly.)
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half and then julienne each half. (if there are larger pieces, feel free to break them up a little bit.)
- In a large non-stick pan, saute the Brussels sprouts with the vegetable stock over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, dates and garlic, stirring occasionally. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes. (The dish is just about ready when the Brussles sprouts are soft and bright green.)
- Add the apples and lemon juice (too keep apples cold and crisp, which complements the warm dish)
- Stir in the toasted pecan pieces and sever.
SSU Nutrition Note: This recipe is good chilled too, but it is best served the same day it is cooked.