This recipe is both salt-free and the fries are baked, making this a very health alternative. Feel free to still have fries and ketchup, and in the comfort of your own home. No shame with this dish.
1 6-oz. can no-salt-added tomato paste
1 half of an apple diced (with or without skin)
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
3-4 potatoes washed and unpeeled; any variety,
- Cut potatoes into ¼-inch x ¼-inch lengths.
- Place cut potatoes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. The fries in the above photo were sliced using a French fry cutter, which comes with two sizes, or you can cut them by hand or with a mandolin slicer .
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Take out and flip the fries over and bake for another 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown and puffed up a little.
- Serve immediately with ketchup and/or mustard.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or Vitamix until smooth. (When opening your small can of tomato paste, open both ends with your can opener; discard one end and push the remaining end all the way through the can to retrieve every last bit of paste.)
- Serve with fries.
Notes: For the ketchup: 1/3 cup apple juice may be substituted for the apple and water. 1 tablespoon vinegar may be substituted for the lemon juice. For the fries: add some flavor by placing the cut potatoes into a plastic bag with ½-1 teaspoon garlic powder (or other ground herb/spice) and shaking to coat the potatoes before baking.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes