For the Mac
3 to 3 1/2 cups dry cut pasta (ex: macaroni, penne) (about 10 oz)
3/4 cup raw cashews (see “nutrition facts” link below for a nut-free version)
1/2 cup raw brazil nuts
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 medium clove garlic
2 tsp arrowroot powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp (rounded) dry mustard
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups milk of choice (preferably: unsweetened almond or soymilk)
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
For breadcrumb topping:
3/4 to 1 1/4 cups dry whole-grain breadcrumbs (See “nutritional info” link below, for gluten-free option)
1/2 to 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Throw pasta into a deep pot of boiling salted water.
- While pasta is cooking, blend all sauce ingredients (ingredients 2-11) in a blender or in a deep bowl with an immersion blender.
- Once pasta is almost tender, fully drain (don’t rinse).
- Mix noodles with sauce, and immediately pour into a lightly oiled 8 x 12” baking dish. (It will look like there is a lot of runny sauce – it will thicken up, trust the pasta!)
- Mix breadcrumb toppings in a small bowl, then sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake for 17-18 minutes. Then, remove foil cover and bake another 5-7 minutes or until topping is golden brown and crisped.Don’t overbake or sauce will get too thick.
- Remove from oven and place vegan macaroni and cheese casserole on a hot plate (rather than on top of oven, since residual heat from oven will continue to thicken the sauce).