Bottom Layer Ingredients: Top Layer Ingredients:
1 cup green lentils 8 medium potatoes
4 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium ½ cup soymilk
2 T tahini ½ cup water
½ cups soymilk ½ cup cashews (optional)
1 cup water
½ cup oat flour (rolled oats, ground)
4 carrots, diced
1 onion, yellow, diced
10 crimini mushrooms, diced
1 c broccoli, diced
1 tsp rosemary, dried
½ tsp oregano, dried
½ tsp thyme, dried
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup green peas
- In a large pot with the lid on, bring 1-2 inches of water to a boil. While water heats, chop potatoes. Add a steam basket to the pot and fill it with potatoes. Steam potatoes for about 20 minutes. They should be soft and split nicely using a fork. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In another pan, heat lentils and vegetable broth or water over med-high heat. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Let lentils cook until they are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the tahini and ½ cup of soymilk and 1 cup of water. Then slowly stir in oat flour. Lentils will thicken and become creamy. If they are too thick, add vegetable broth or water as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. While the starches cook, heat carrots and onions in a large sauté pan over medium heat, stirring frequently. If the veggies start to stick to pan, add a little bit of water. Once onions are translucent add mushrooms and broccoli. Stir in the herbs, black pepper, and garlic powder and continue to sauté until veggies are tender. Add the peas and turn off the heat.
- Stir the veggies into the lentils, and mix well. Pour lentil veggie mix into a 9 x 13 casserole pan. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add the remaining ½ cup of soymilk and ½ cup of water, and mash the potatoes until desired consistency. Layer the mashed potatoes over the lentils.
- Grind cashews in a spice grinder and sprinkle the powder over the potato crust. Put the pie in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.